Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Love and Light

Have I mentioned my word for 2009?

burn-out: fatigue, frustration, or apathy resulting from
prolonged stress, overwork, or intense activity

I am tired of driving to and fro, listening to whining kids, cleaning up messes that are not mine...
I am sick of someone always needing my time and energy, the dishes never being done, pajamas still being left on the bathroom floor and being told frequently that I'm mean and hated...
I don't care anymore that the floors are sticky or that my calling is being neglected...

Being BUSYjenn has led to extreme burn-out and a lot of wasted hours in front of the television. There have been moments of reprieve from the fatigue and frustrations but inevitably, the burn-out sets back in.

I. hate. burn-out.

I go to bed feeling depressed, disappointed and useless.
I have asked myself so many times this year, "Why is life so hard?"

As I flipped my calendar this morning to the last month of this- 2009, I felt an overwhelming desire to NOT suffer from burn-out in 2010. But how do you relight the fire when it has burned out?

Well-
You accept the tender mercies of the Lord. (He does not want me to suffer from burn-out either.
)

Today is laundry day. I'm keeping close to the washer and dryer so I can stay on top of the 11 loads of clothes, towels and blankets that need to get done. While waiting to change loads, I decided to visit some long neglected blogs of dear and wise friends including my favorite Jenny. She wrote a wonderful post back in October and although I am sad that I have not read her blog for so long, the Lord knew that today my heart was open to her message.

Jenny attended a training meeting with members of the Young Women's general board where she was told that her calling in Young Women's should be hard. If it wasn't, then shape-up. She was surprised by this message but shared it with her local presidencies in stake training. At their next stake training meeting, she revisited her previous message with these thoughts:

Sometimes we confuse hard for heavy. Accomplishing hard things is invigorating, exciting, empowering and pumps us up. Heavy things make us feel discouraged, depressed, less than, inferior, and inadequate. Hard is not synonymous with heavy. When our callings, or any other aspect of our lives, feels heavy, it means that something is out of balance. Are we doing too much for others who could do it themselves? Are we doing too little? Are we focusing on the minutia and loosing sight of the big picture? Are we comparing ourselves to some imagined status-quo that we can't meet? Those things are all heavy. The Lord doesn't want us to be heavy. He wants us to accomplish hard things. And through Him we can accomplish hard things.

As I read and re-read her words, I realized that my burn-out was not caused by hard things but by heavy things. I was taking on more than I needed to and unable or unwilling to follow through on the things that were most important. I was expecting too much from myself and from others while assuming it should be easy. I was busy, but I was not actually productive. I created a heavy load for myself that I could no longer carry. The result: burn-out.

I am reminded of this invitation:

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I willl give you rest. Take my yoke upon you... for my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30

Light.
Maybe I've found my word for 2010.
Maybe it is time to let go of the heavy burdens of selfishness, comparison, expecation and guilt.
Maybe it is time for a light and easy burden of obedience, love and trust.

My sweet friend, Michelle, also posted some wisdom that yesterday I couldn't hear but today, I keep revisiting.

Today one of our Sacrament Meeting speakers related an experience he had recently. Someone invited him over for a drink. He thanked him, and explained that he doesn't drink. Or smoke, for that matter.

The man responded that he used to smoke, but that he decided when his daughter was born that he would quit. He gave up smoking out of love for his daughter.

The speaker was very impressed with this, and it really made him think: could we not give up anything out of love for our Savior? Could we not accomplish anything with his help? And should we not be motivated to do anything in our power to give back to the one who gave his life out of love for us?

Love.
Maybe that should be my word for 2010.
Because how crazy is it that love is what really motivates us to give up heavy things?!!
And when we give up the heavy things, the Lord makes it possible for us to do hard things!

I have admired my beautiful friend, Sheryl, who learned "I can do hard things" this year.

I want to be able to do hard things.
I want to let go of heavy things.

I want to remember this moment for my friends have taught me that both are possible and the Spirit has reminded me that the Lord continues to invite this stubborn, independent soul to "Come unto Him for his LOVE is infinite and his burden is LIGHT."

9 Comments:

Blogger skcoe said...

Sounds to me like we need a 2010 kick-off to jump start us, motivate us, inspire us, and REMIND us that we are amazing, hard-working WONDERFUL mothers who need light and love in our lives. We deserve it!

So...will you plan that kick-off? I'm really burned out. (wink)

I love you, cute girl. Can't wait to see you again before the holidays.

December 01, 2009 3:00 PM  
Blogger Texas Boy + SLC Girl said...

LOVE that scripture for SURE!!! I love all of your thoughts!!! XOXO

December 01, 2009 5:38 PM  
Blogger maria said...

THANK YOU JEN! I really needed this post. You always inspire me to be better. Love ya!

December 01, 2009 6:49 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

I have tears running down my face, Jenn. It's clear that I needed to read this today. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

December 01, 2009 8:22 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

What do I say? You know I love you, and that in my eyes you are remarkable. Thanks for needing my words, and giving them back to me today.

I love your theme for 2010, its far more motivational than burnout!

So, here's to enjoying, not just enduring this holiday season. To finding joy in the simple acts of kindness, like clean underwear. To finding moments of bliss in a snuggle with a child.

God bless you fav Jenn!

December 02, 2009 8:49 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

Great post Jenn, so well thought out and beautifully written.

December 02, 2009 1:41 PM  
Blogger Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

Jenn, remember...you can't get to the summit of Rainier or even to the half way point if you pack is full of crap, your boots don't fit right and you aren't in the right frame of mind.

It takes a light pack, leaving the cans of soup at home and taking light food, finding the lightest possible tent and sleeping bag, and not taking a change of clothes. It takes conditioning, training, and making sure your boots fit and don't rub you the wrong way. And it takes a great ipod full of fun music that helps you dance your way up the ice and over the crevasses...

BUT you also need your rope and your partner...because all the training in the world does little good if you fall into a crevasse without a rope and without a partner.

Love you!

December 03, 2009 10:04 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Apparently, I need to read this tomorrow. Perhaps I'll hear it better then ...

December 04, 2009 1:19 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

Oh! I LOVE these thoughts on hard vs. heavy!! I really needed to read that today. Thanks for sharing, Jenn.

(How cool is it to have friends that inspire you and lift you up?!)

December 04, 2009 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home