
I have been working on a birthday present for a friend and trying to think through what project or page to do next but I realized today that I am always spending my precious few creative minutes picking up/organizing/rearranging... so I never get anything done!
I can't work in a mess. It drives me crazy when I can't spread out my project or when I am knocking things over while I work. Can you get over this?

Can you learn to work with piles and stacks all around? I don't know. And I really like the organizing, so I don't know how committed I'd ever be to getting over this hang up. Maybe I need to think of my craft room as a creative endevour in itself- it gets more attention from me than any layout ever has!!
7 Comments:
I have to work around piles of stuff, otherwise I'd never do anything in here at all. I keep trying to find the best way to organize everything, but since I can't tear down a wall or put an addition on to the back of the house I just have to keep trying to fit more and more stuff in here in a better way. It wouldn't be so bad if I could remember which pile the thing I'm looking for is in, then at least I wouldn't lose so much time hunting for things. I always think your room is pretty well organized and labeled, so other than having several projects going at one time, what seems to be the trouble?
It's a nice dream--the organized scrap room. But I think Becky Higgins is the only one who actually lives that way. I would love to have a pristine craft room, but that would take an assistant who would continually put my things away. Such behavior would, I fear, get in the way of creativity. Too much bustle!
Speaking on a practical level, it has helped to get rid of some things that take up a lot of room that I never use. I'm still intending to purge a lot more, but I can't find the motivation right now. I don't know if that would work for you. You say you don't do very much, but you always seem to use the things you have. For example, your alphabets. I have lots of those little MM alphabets that have never been opened. You have a little MM metal letters on everything! I have a lot to get rid of because I'm a supply collecter. You're a supply user. Although I'm sure you have a stash of stuff that you haven't used. We all do, don't we?
I've been waiting to see if there would be a #2! This is a big hang-up of mine, too. Although I'm in a much worse way than you. My scrapbook room is such a disaster I can't even walk in there, let alone work at my desk. I usually gather some things for fridays with Jill, bring them up to my kitchen table, make something, then take down a big pile of stuff and put it in my room.
It is such a mess that it literally feels like a heavy weight on my shoulders. I want to get it cleaned up and organized so that I can find my stuff, use my desk, leave out projects in progress, etc. but it is so overwhelming to me! I need a couple of weeks of uninterrupted time to get it done! So, basically, I am no help in this department.
I think my ideal would be to have it all organized, then spend 10-15 minutes in there every day tidying up so that I always felt I had the space to work on stuff. That's my dream.
Sadly, I can work in a mess. My problem is that I am a "deep-clean freak." I spend more time scrubbing toilets and mopping floors. But...I can work when my upstairs is cluttered. I think that I'd rather be you.
Am loving the photos. Thanks for sharing.
I too am like this. Sounds like we have some of the same hang ups. I don't bother to clean my space after I have finished a project, usually because its so late, and then when I go to start something up I can't because of the mess. I end up cleaning/organizing like you and do nothing else. Oh the frustration. I thought it would be different with a bigger room, but it is just a bigger mess.
You did not inherit this quality from your mother. If I waited to clean the kitchen before I cooked, you kids would have died of starvation many times over. And you've seen my work room.
I hate to work around a mess, it takes me twice as long to do anything, my next career is going to be an orgainization specialist. I have the reputation at work for being the OCD one, if anything needs to be written in penmanship I do it, I like my handwritting the best, any orgainizing that needs to be done, I do it. I would love to have a scrapbook room some day and who know how long it would stay orgainized. Good luck.
Post a Comment
<< Home