Happy Birthday Books
I know Kate's birthday was in February, but remember my motto: Better Late Than Never. In that spirit, we finally scheduled Kate's friend party and had 10 crazy girls over to make books tonight.
Unfortunately, the ONLY pictures I have from whole night are the set-up pictures! I was so busy helping the girls cut, punch, glue and bind, that I didn't pick up my camera even once. In hind sight, I should have asked Kelly to take pictures, but he's a 'hide from the chaos' kind of guy, so aside from grilling the burgers, he stayed away.
For a birthday party, it seems like quite a failure- we didn't get to eat cake, the girls had to take it with them as they left; Kate opened her presents while the girls were finishing their books and I was binding so I didn't get to see what she received until after everyone had gone; and every parent had to wait because we weren't finished on time with the girls books.
In reality- it was a great night! Kate was delighted that ALL the girls she invited actually came. The girls LOVED making books and playing in my craft room. There was laughing, chanting, singing, dancing, hugging, eating, funny faces, silly voices and by the end of the night, 11 finished books made just like 12 year old girls like to do them!
Since I don't have pictures to document the night, here is our schedule:
4pm- friends arrive and choose their cover papers while talking and eating after school treats
4:30pm- we sit down to assemble covers (the girls were silly but did a good job following directions)
5:20pm- (ahead of schedule!) dinner: cheeseburgers off the grill, chips, strawberries and soda accompanied by "so- duh" jokes, laugh comparisons (it is good to know Kate's "seal" laugh is not the only humorous laugh among the girls), and a new chant- something about "Boom- with the attitude..."
6:15pm- decorate books
6:45pm- (now behind schedule)all still decorating and don't want to quit, so Kate opens presents as the girls work
7:00pm- binding as fast as I can!
7:30pm- Kate leaves to babysit
8:00pm- I take the last two girls home (who live in our neighborhood) after they helped clean up and ate cake and ice-cream with the rest our family
I'm exhausted and still have clean-up to do but it was so worth the time, money and work to see Kate's face tonight- she was SO happy! Of course, I totally get that. The combination of friends, fun and food always make me happy too!
Happy Birthday Kate!
a memory: On my 12th birthday, my mother had pneumonia. I was left to clean, cook and take care of my siblings. I wasn't mad at my mom, she didn't choose to have pneumonia, but it was a pretty cruddy birthday. My dad tried to make up for it by bringing home a teddy bear poster and giving me a 'shopping day' with him when my mom was feeling better. The 'shopping day' actually continued to be our birthday tradition and I got some of my favorite clothes on those trips with my Dad. I still have one of those outfits and hope to fit into it again someday. Good things have all too often come out of bad situations and this was one of those times. I have good memories of shopping with my Dad.

8 Comments:
"Brick wall, waterfall, girl you think you got it all! You don't, but I do, so BOOM with your attitude! Peace, punch, Captain Crunch...I got something you can't touch. Bing bang choo-choo train, wind it up, I do my thing. Reeses Pieces, 7Up, Mess with me, I MESS YOU UP!"
(ahem) That's how it goes.
I'm so ridiculously impressed with the book making. Great job mom, and happy birthday Kate!!!
Great party, those girls will be talking about that for a long time.
What a fun party! I have to ask, have you seen the Zutter Bind-it-all? You have to get one! It's a "machine" that punches the holes and sets the wire binding. I just bought one and it's amazing! It even punches through covered bookboard. You should come see it. And Hobby Lobby has their Zutter stuff 40% off this week, so the $75 tool would only be $45. Could be a fun Mother's Day present to buy yourself! ;)
Kate is such a cute girl! Glad her birthday was a happy one and what a great mom she has! Sounds like fun!
Sienna has such a BLAST at the party! What a creative idea to do for a party. You are always so creative with everything you do. Thanks for inviting her! One of these days you need to show me how to make one!
Sounds like the perfect party to me! I can't imagine any girls -- or women, for that matter -- who wouldn't want you to teach them to make books.
I want that Bind-it-all.
Happy Birthday, Kate! I remember when your kids didn't have friend parties so I was the one who was invited to celebrate... How do I get that going again?
Wow, what an ambitious project to do with so many girls! It sounds like a great event for Kate, you always do such a wonderful job with your kids' birthday parties.
Post a Comment
<< Home