Gratitude is...
happiness doubled by wonder. -G.K. Chesterton
Don't you love this quote?!! Life has been busy. My kids have been sick. I have had company. My house is a wreck and frankly, so am I! But I have wonderful friends who have helped me survive the last couple of weeks and I am indebted to them for their kindness! I was so happy to receive their help and gifts but the surprise and generosity of it all is truly a wonder to me and I am so grateful!
My bookclub friends got together for Amy's birthday and to see her new baby! But we all left
with presents! Collette brought us bookmarks and CUTE cherry spoon rests from her trip to Washington D.C. and Jana brought us flavored syrup from Nauvoo. It is such a wonderful feeling to know someone thought of you while they were away! Thanks you two!Michelle, having just sent me the fabulous red, white and blue package, sent me a copy of the Simple Scrapbooks special issue! It came on a really bad day and the package itself was a great pick me up but how delightful that it kept picking me up as a flipped through it during the rest of my day! Thanks Michelle!
Jill, who has 'friend in need' radar!, offered to give me the sharing time she had prepared since it was her turn for the class presentation this month. I didn't know how I was going to pull off sharing time with my crazy busy week but thanks to Jill, I didn't have to prepare one from scratch! She brought me not just the idea but all the visual aides too! I only spent an hour or two learning it and adapting it for my primary (I had to do both Jr. and Sr.). If that wasn't enough, she delivered it to my door AND had disinfecting wipes to help with my sick kids!! Thanks Jill!
But the most surprising and timely gift was delivered to my front door by Amie! I didn't even go to the door I was in such a funk and sitting, depressed, on the couch. My day had been
terrible. What I needed to get done seemed overwhelming. There was a knock at the door and I was sure it was a salesman- just that time of day. So, imagine my surprise when my kids brought me a giant paper bag with ribbon and a card! They weren't sure who brought it since they have not really met Amie. I opened the card and the words on the front made me teary- just because. I ripped open the bag to find the cutest star plate! Amie had seen my room once and thought the plate would look good in my Americana room. That's all! That's what prompted this wonderfully generous gift that could not have come at a more perfect time! Amie is one of those sweet souls that I know through Jill. We really only see each other when we're with Jill, so that she would think of me independent of that AND bring me such a thoughtful gift is truly a wonder to me! Thank you, thank you Amie! It meant SO much!Many others of you have left me sweet comments and messages that have also lifted my spirits! (Kristi- I would call you to my Jr. Primary in a heartbeat!!) I can't imagine my life without friends! I couldn't do what I do without each of you! I thank my Heavenly Father daily for the blessing you are in my life!

7 Comments:
What incredible thoughtfulness. I am so amazed by everybody's generosity. The plate is absolutely adorable.
And, Jenn...you are an extraordinary person yourself. I can't believe how you can even think of others when you have such a full life. You're amazing.
The outreach from your friends is truely amazing. How is that our friends know when we are in need? That ability is know is the root of true friendship, I like how you phrased it, "friend in need" radar. I hope that I can continue to hone my skills.
Remember that you too are a blessing in many peoples lives, that you often go out of your way to do the quite kind things for others, that you know when there is a friend in need. There are many demands on your time and yet you give your time so freely. What an example you set!
It's so pleasing to see generosity in action like that. I hate to think of you feeling overwhelmed and too depressed to answer the door. Those days come too often, but how wonderful to get such an unexpected delivery from Amie. Now if we could just figure out a way to keep our spirits up in-between deliveries we'd be all set.
Welcome back to the blogosphere! I'm sorry that you've been so unbearably busy lately. That's a bummer. I have such new respect for you now that I have more than one. How do you do it all and still get sleep? Really, if you need anything (I would be happy to have your kids--especially Soren, Emily and Ethan, since I have stuff that might appeal to them--over) call me!
Jenn - no wonder people want to do nice things for you. Your post made me feel better than being able to give you a little something. (PS - I sent one of my kids to the door so it could just be a drop and run and not interrupt your evening.)
We all wonder how you do it all so it's a little bit of a relief that it's not easy too. I hope things calm down soon, hopefully school and a schedule will help.
Thanks for your kind words and thoughts. You are a good example to me.
1. I feel sick that I don't have friend in need radar and didn't know you were in such a bad way. Such a sad vision of you sitting on the couch, too depressed to answer the door. I've been there, too, but I don't like to think of you feeling like that!
2. You are quite possibly the best person to give things to. Your reaction is so genuine, so excited, so giddy and your expressions of thanks so rewarding that it more than repays the giver. So thank YOU!
I miss you. I'm all caught up on your blog, but I already feel the distance between us. Why don't you come visit me in Wyoming. We could play!
Post a Comment
<< Home