Thursday, November 16, 2006

Survival 101



I'm quite relieved to hear people say that I handle my life well. Most days I feel like a wreck. But I do survive my crazy life and I realized that I survive it because of service!

I am so blessed to have good people in my life who serve me often! I am always late at saying thank you, but their efforts are appreciated more than they will ever know! There is nothing more uplifting, motivating or wonderful than knowing someone thought of you! Thought of you enough to write a note, make a treat, send good mail... that is how I survive!

Some of the goodness that helped me survive October inlcudes:
  • The YUMMY dipped apple from Amie (I love how it looks almost as big as Emily's head because it was!!)
  • Dinner from the Young Women in my ward!
  • The cute bag full of goodness from Amy (she sewed the bag- doesn't that scream thinking of you!!)
  • A thank you from Amy M. with hand made Thank You cards in it for me to use! (sorry- my digital camera broke and I don't have pictures!)
  • Orange quilted Lands End shoes from my mom (and in the perfect size! orange! just because!!)
  • A great CD and super cute note from Jill.
  • One of Hannah's genius thank you cards...

Don't you feel happy just reading about such kind acts! Doesn't it make you feel good!

Being the recipient of service is amazing. But it isn't the whole of how I survive. I survive my crazy life by trying to serve others too! I can not describe the giddy feeling I had when I went to the post office with 14 halloween packages to mail! Or when I finally pulled together my Seattle surprises. Or when I came home from watching 6 kids while their parents went to the temple. Or when I come home each Sunday having taught the children in my ward (you can be giddy and exhausted at the same time!) Doing things for others is another way to survive the craziness of life! It takes the focus off you and your life and makes you feel dang good!

Really, it is this wonderful circle (I can't word this without singing Lion King- sorry!) You give, you receive, you want to give more, you receive more, you want to give even more... and your life is SO amazingly blessed and wonderful even though chaotic and crazy!

I wish one of you had written this post for me- it isn't very eloquent. But I guess it doesn't need to be because the idea is simple- if you are feeling lousy, do something for someone else! It will be enough to put a smile on your face! And you will survive whatever is crazy in your life!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great thoughts Jenn. I can't imagine life with 5 kids- the thought of 2 is kinda freaking me out right now. You seem to do more than just survive my friend. You are really amazing and your perspective on service is right there with mine. I love the feelings I have after helping someone out, or sending a card, or whatever. Being on the receiving end just makes me want to pass those happy feelings along to someone else. Good post!

November 17, 2006 1:13 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

You are the epitomy of service. You are always willing to give your time, your fabulous creative abilities, etc. to anyone who needs it. I know that I have been a recipient of your kindness many times. What a woman!

November 17, 2006 3:42 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

You're right, I always love to read about and see the great things other people get as a result of someone else. It's always fun to give things to you and it always fun to get things from you as well, you definitely have a gift for giving gifts.

You're also totally right about trying to do something for someone else when you're not feeling so hot yourself. Whenever I read about someone having a bad day I want to jump up and down and say "Go help somebody" because that's the cure for sure!

November 17, 2006 5:53 PM  
Blogger Crystalyn said...

i started to comment on your post and ended up writing so much i decided i better just put a post on my own blog instead of eat up a ton of your comment space! but i must say YES i completely agree with you. service is what makes all the difference in life. i get so excited now when i'm out and about just seeing things and wondering who will love them. it makes life so HAPPY! thanks for posting this. and thanks for serving on my behalf! i am really looking forward to making my yw books. ( :

November 17, 2006 10:01 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

I love this post, Jenn. You're so right -- it is a circle, the rare, upward kind! Someone serves you, you feel grateful beyond words, you want to return that service. You want to look all around you and find ways to help others because you know just how life-saving it feels when someone helps you. Thanks for sharing!

November 19, 2006 11:17 AM  
Blogger melanie said...

Today I am grateful for your post! (hectic day) I sent my first good mail last week and was truly giddy about it. I know we have service to help others but also and equally as important is the help it gives to ourselves.

I love the pay it forward idea, I wish more people around had the same vision and idea about it's importance!

November 19, 2006 6:08 PM  
Blogger Bond Girl 007 said...

what a wonderful post...i think it is sooo true...it is hard sometimes to do it, but once you get going it is just blessings!

November 20, 2006 12:02 AM  
Blogger amy gretchen said...

Excellent post Jenn. I have found the same thing to be true even if it's spending more quality time with one of my girls. I find when I'm thinking of myself too much something is missing from my life. Thanks for the reminder of how to get life back on track.

November 20, 2006 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home