Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Twelve? Twelve.

I don't know where the time has gone- Kate, my first born child, is twelve years old! She is getting ready to leave childhood for a new stage of life and that leaves me feeling old, pensive, and terrified.

When I remember my childhood, it was a happy time full of good memories. Did Kate have a happy childhood? How will she remember it? Did she feel care free or did I overburden her? As the oldest, I so often needed her help and I was always learning how to be the parent at her expense. Did I teach her what she needs to know for the next stage? Is she excited for new experiences and opportunities? What is coming- will she (and I) be able to handle it?

These thoughts can be overwhelming but then I look at her:


She is beautiful. Confident. Intelligent. Independent.
She wants to know and do what is right.
She loves to learn and try new things.
She is optimistic about her future.

So, I'll take my cue from her.
I'll remember and enjoy what still makes her my little girl...


... that she still has freckles along her nose.
... that I still find her nose always stuck in a book.
... that she still plays with her hair or rubs her face while she reads.
... that she still dreams of being an artist.
... that she still wants to kick off her shoes and put her feet in the water.
... that she still wants to keep the rock she found by her feet in the water.
... that she still laughs at a good joke.
... that she still picks the pink sailor dress when we go shopping for her birthday.
... that she still likes to snuggle with mom.

And I'll appreciate and admire what makes her a beautiful young woman...

... that she reads to learn more about herself and the world.
... that she asks sincere and thought provoking questions.
... that she has a keen sense of humor and can laugh more.
... that she wears women's shoes.
... that she is long and lean and healthy.
... that she takes care of herself- getting up, showering, dressing, doing chores and homework.
... that she then helps take care of others.

... that she also picks a black sweater dress with a zebra print collar when we go shopping for her birthday.
... that she needs to snuggle with mom because life can be hard.

Kate- I love twelve.
I love YOU at twelve.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Grandpa.... said...

I love you too, Kate. Very much.

April 01, 2009 12:17 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Wow, she's 12!! This is a great post.

April 01, 2009 4:27 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I love Kate. Micah and I can't believe how old she is either. TWELVE!!! Great post.

April 01, 2009 8:04 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

This is wonderful. I love the way you delineated the things you love about both her girlish and womanly qualities as she is on the cusp of leaving childhood behind...

April 07, 2009 7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home